Assistant Cottage Parent Information
All employees must pass a DFPS and Criminal background check, FBI Fingerprinting, drug screening, and Tuberculosis (TB) test prior to employment.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have a valid Driver License with a safe driving record.
- Experience working with children is preferred.
- Must be able to model healthy family relationships while incorporating Christian values.
- Strong and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Problem-solving, coping skills and ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to work well with people of different ages and backgrounds to collaborate as part of a team.
- Maintain positive relationships with co-workers, social workers, therapists, teachers, mentors, and other community stakeholders.
- Represent Children’s Village at public events.
- Possess exceptional time management and organizational skills.
Assistant Cottage Parents will:
- Become familiar with each child’s social history to understand the child as an individual.
- Develop a relationship with each child, actively listen to them, and offer support.
- Develop a relationship with the other cottage parents and assistant cottage parents to build an on-campus community.
- Conduct daily devotions in the home with the children and actively participate in a local church.
- Possess basic cooking skills, plan, and serve well-balanced meals.
- Perform daily household tasks necessary for cleanliness and home maintenance.
- Promptly clean grounds or workspace after project completion.
- Assign duties and household chores to children in their home, as age and skill of the child allows.
- Teach children proper care for their belongings, as age and skill of the child allows.
- Encourage the development of good personal hygiene habits such as bathing, brushing teeth, changing clothes, shampooing hair, cleaning nails, etc.
- Provide structured time each day for schoolwork and ensure that the children have necessary study materials.
- Assist each child with his/her daily homework and report concerns to school administration.
- Implement a variety of age-appropriate activities that support each child’s growth and development.
- Model positive behavior and utilize appropriate language, social interactions, and positive discipline.
- Transport children to school, church, family visits, and recreational activities.
This is a part time position starting at $15 per hours
Meals are provided when working in the home
Agency vehicle is provided for transporting children
Agency paid training to help with professional development